Thursday, May 30, 2013

Let's Talk About Socks

Shortly after I started running, I was on a run with my brother, and we were talking about our favorite running shoes and clothes.  We moved on to the subject of socks, and he mentioned that he probably had at least $200-300 worth of running socks in a drawer.  At the time, that was amazing to me.  I knew I didn't like running in cotton, but socks were socks, right?  It was unfathomable to me that anyone could need that many pairs.

Fast forward to the present.  I am now the one with that many pairs of socks in my drawer, and it is an ever-growing collection.  If you look in my drawer, you'll find brands like Under Armour, Experia, Saucony, Drymax, Mizuno Breath Thermo, SmartWool, and North Face.  Quite honestly, I'm willing to give just about anything a try as long as it doesn't contain cotton.  Typically, I like wearing the no-show or low-cut socks, because my legs look funny if I try to wear quarter socks.  I'm also one of those people whose socks must match the outfit (I know, I know - I think it's a girl thing), so you'll find a wide range of colors in my drawer as well.  

My sock preference for a run depends on factors like whether I'm running on the treadmill or outside, the weather if it's an outdoor run, and the shoes I'm wearing.  I prefer Drymax, Mizuno, and SmartWool for the cold weather, as I have Reynaud's Disease and need something that will keep my feet warm while still allowing them to breathe.  In the warmer weather, I can wear just about anything but I like something with just a hint of cushion.  For races, I really like wearing Experia.  I wore them for my very first race, and it's become kind of a tradition (some might say superstition).

Lightning may strike me down, but while I own a Zensah compression calf sleeve, I don't own any compression socks.  I know - crazy, right?  They seem to be all the rage these days.  Lots of cool colors and patterns, and so many brands to choose from.  I am weakening, though, and no doubt it won't be long before I have some in my sock drawer as well.

If I had to give one piece of advice, I would tell you to please not wear cotton socks.  Honestly, don't even think about wearing them.  While cotton might be soft and comfy to wear around the house, when you're on a run and your feet sweat, all that moisture loves to hang out in your cotton socks and cause blisters.  So please, for the love of all runners, don't wear cotton socks!  Now that we've cleared that air...

Do you have a favorite brand of socks?  If so, which one?  Do you wear compression socks?  Are you a black/white socks kind of runner or do you like colors?  Discuss... :)      

2 comments:

  1. Guilty as charged... I wear two pairs of the cheapo Old Navy socks for running :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I hope you didn't take any offense. I seriously don't wear cotton, but it was really supposed to make you laugh more than anything. :) Maybe we should get you some new socks, though... perhaps I should add a giveaway on to this post! ;)

      Delete