Sunday, April 14, 2013

Boston Bound and Determined

This was an actual conversation between my husband and me this weekend:


Me: I can't WAIT until Monday!

Husband: Why?
Me: It's the Boston Marathon!!
Husband: Who cares?
Me: [insert frowny face here] I do - it's exciting!  I want to run it someday!  Maybe I should wait until I'm 40 so I get an additional 5 minutes...
Husband (with a sigh): All you ever talk about is running...

Don't get me wrong.  My husband is an incredible man, husband, and father.  He puts up with my races, daily runs and shoe purchases, but he is not interested in running.  Not one bit.  I'll be honest - 3 years ago, I might not have cared much, either.  Things have changed since then.  I started running to become a healthier person, but on that journey, fell in love with the sport.  Last year's Olympics was the first time I really got excited about the track and field events and actually knew the names of those competing.  


These days, running goes beyond contributing to a healthy lifestyle.  Yes, I do still run to promote a healthy lifestyle to my family and friends, but really, I run for ME.  Running relaxes me and allows me to let go of stress.  I am giddy every time I go to an expo to pick up my bib and t-shirt.  Running gives me a sense of accomplishment.  I get excited when I line up at the starting line, and I feel a rush of exhilaration when I cross the finish line.  It never gets old.



There are many great races in our country and across the world, but for me, Boston represents the crown jewel in the running world.  While I've yet to run a full marathon, Boston is on my "bucket list."  I'm determined to make it happen.  If I train hard enough to complete a marathon and by some miracle, make the cutoff, I might be lucky enough to be there someday.  



So what if everyone else is faster than me?  Quite honestly, if I make it to Boston, I'm not going to be thinking about that.  I'm going to be thinking about running in a historic race that so many greats have run before me.  I'll get chills meeting some of the people who have inspired me to be where I am today.  Most of all, I'll be thinking about what it took for me to get there and how proud of myself that I was able to do it.  That alone will make me a winner.



Right now, it's a dream.  But with enough work and determination, it will someday become a reality.  Will I see you there?

No comments:

Post a Comment