Monday, April 1, 2013

What's on Your Running Playlist?

There are some runners who choose to run without headphones and instead, listen to the music of nature.  On most runs, I am part of the other camp – the group that prefers to have music pumping through headphones. Since I typically run alone, music is my running companion. On those days when it’s tough to get moving, it can also give me that extra boost of energy to push through to the end of a difficult run. 

There has been a lot of chatter on various running blogs lately about music playlists, so I thought I’d add my two cents. I have very eclectic tastes in music. At any given point in my run, you might find me listening to classical or you might also find me listening to rock. I’ve found several different ways to provide a soundtrack for my run. 


Rock My Run: Rock My Run offers music mixes put together by professional DJ’s. You select the music genre(s) you prefer, and Rock My Run searches for mixes that match your tastes. Currently, there are apps available for iPhone, iPad, and iTouch. A free membership entitles you to one download of a standard mix per month and unlimited listening to standard mixes within the app. A premium membership offer access to all mixes and the number of downloads depends on the length of membership you choose. It’s a cool idea and a great way to find some really good mixes.


iHeartRadio: iHeartRadio offers access to hundreds of radio stations throughout the country. They offer their app for more than just Apple products, including Android, Windows, Blackberry, and Kindle Fire. If you travel a lot and like to have your hometown radio station along for the ride, this is perfect for you. It is a completely free service, and the only con I’ve found so far is that if I’m running on a really windy day, it tends to cut in and out quite a bit. Two of my personal favorites are Kansas City’s 94.9 (hits from the 70’s and 80’s) and New York’s Z100 (current hits from Bruno Mars, Imagine Dragons, Mumford & Sons, Lady Gaga, etc.).

My iTunes Running Playlist: Just to give you an idea of how varied my tastes are, if I did a shuffle and took the first 10 songs, here’s what comes up:
  1. “Ironic” – Alanis Morissette 
  2. “Some Nights” – fun. 
  3. “Who Says You Can’t Go Home” – Bon Jovi 
  4. “More Than a Feeling” – Boston 
  5. “Almost There” – Princess and the Frog soundtrack 
  6. “Walking on Sunshine” – Katrina and the Waves 
  7. “Summon the Heroes” – John Williams 
  8. “How Majestic is Your Name” – Kristin Chenoweth 
  9. “Down on the Corner” – CCR 
  10. “Good Day” – Tally Hall 


Musical taste can be a highly personal thing, but it's fun to broaden your horizons and try something you might not normally have chosen. You may look at my list and scratch your head, or you might end up adding something from my list to yours. It’s surprising how “Summon the Heroes” or “Bugler’s Dream” can make one feel like an Olympian and push just a little bit harder. It may seem like an odd choice, but if you’ve never tried it, you might be surprised how well it works. 

What are some of your favorites? Please leave your comments below – I’m always looking for new favorites to add to my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment