Monday, April 15, 2013

United We Stand

I write this post with a heavy heart.  It may be somewhat jumbled and unorganized, but it is what's running through my head and heart right now.  I was not in Boston today, nor did I have any friends or family members who were running.  Here's the reality, though - each and every one of those people are my friends, whether I've met them or not.  Some are fast and some are slower.  Some are young and some are older.  It doesn't matter.  We are all part of a tight-knit community of runners.  We stand up for one another, cheer each other on, and in horrific instances like today, we cry together and send our thoughts and prayers from all over the world.  

I can't tell you the number of times I've been at a race and been approached by fellow runners asking how I did and congratulating me.  You know that old friend that you don't see very often, but when you get together, the conversation just picks up where you left off the last time?  It's very much like that.  We come from different backgrounds and locations, but we are a family.  We are there for each other, whether it's physically in person or emotionally over the miles.  

We runners are a very determined bunch, and so we will get through this.  Not without pain, tears, questions, and perhaps anger, but we will move on.  The Boston Marathon will never be the same for each and every one of us, yet we will gather again next April to remember the past and celebrate the future - because we are runners.     

I read amazing reports of runners finishing the race and then running immediately to the hospital to give blood.  Some of us will run races in memory of those who lost their lives or are injured.  Some will donate money, food, clothing, or shelter.  Others will pray.  Some will do all of those things.  Tomorrow, April 16, runners all over the world will be wearing race shirts and/or blue and yellow to show support for the victims, their families, the runners who were there, and the people in the great city of Boston.  

United we stand.  I'll be wearing mine - will you join me?  

No comments:

Post a Comment