Saturday, April 6, 2013

Switch it Up!

I tend to be a creature of habit.  As a runner, that means I stretch before my run and once I'm finished, stretch again and drink two full glasses of water.  I don't leave without my iPhone, Garmin, Road ID, and if I'm going for a longer run, my handheld bottle and sport beans.  It also translates to having my favorite running routes.  I know exactly how long they are and how much time it takes to run them.

My son was supposed to have baseball practice from 11-12:30 this morning.  At the midweek practice this past Wednesday, his coach announced he was changing practice to 9:30-11 so they could have access to a pitching machine.  Since I get up early every other day of the week, I am generally not an early riser on Saturdays and run a little later in the morning.  My husband had other plans this morning, and this practice was right smack in the middle of my running time.


The more I thought about it, though, I chose to view it as an opportunity rather than a dilemma.  Wasn't there a trail right next to the ball fields?  It could end up being a nice departure from my usual runs.  I dropped him off, parked, and set off on the trail.



Insane wind aside, it ended up being a very peaceful and relaxing run.  Lined on both sides with trees, the trail was a nice mix of flat ground and relatively steep hills.  It was a nice change from the stoplights and sounds of rumbling cars that I'm so accustomed to in a busy suburb.  The trail was populated with other runners, cyclists, and dog walkers, but not so many that it was horribly crowded.



I ended up running for most of the practice and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.  If you are a creature of habit like I tend to be, try switching things up sometimes - you might just be pleasantly surprised!

1 comment:

  1. Agreed! I can slip into routines and habits and think I like it that way. BUT, once I am forced to change things up bc of a vacation or schedule change, I find it's not so bad. In fact, it makes me feel refreshed :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete