Thursday, April 11, 2013

Running Essentials

Running "could" be considered one of the cheapest sports in which to participate.  Let's be honest - all you truly need to run is a pair of shoes, a t-shirt, and shorts.  I know there are purists, but how many runners really run that way?  Certainly not me, much to the dismay of my husband.  I can't have just one or two pairs of shoes, and I have to have plenty of running clothes.  After all, variety is the spice of life, right?  Let's set aside the clothing and shoes for a moment, though...

Many companies have us convinced there are things we NEED to make our runs more comfortable and enjoyable.  I'll be honest - there are things I can't run without.  Well, I could run without them, but I don't necessarily want to.  These products have me hook, line, and sinker.  When I'm getting ready for a trip, even if it's a vacation, these are some of the first things to go in my bag.  Here are my top 5 running essentials:

1. The Sharper Image Wireless Headset


If there is one thing I hate, it's headphone cords dangling when I'm trying to run.  I found these at Kohl's around Christmas and thought I'd give them a try.  For $35, I thought it was a worth taking a chance.  My husband, who is very up to date on the latest and greatest in tech gear, informed me that things like that never work as promised, especially at that price.  Wrong!  They are awesome.  They sync using the Blue Tooth on my iPhone and work perfectly.  No cord and happy Katie!

2. RoadID Wrist ID Sport


I never leave for a run without my RoadID.  It has information that would be important in case of an emergency.  I hope I never need it, but it could save my life someday.  Best $20 I've ever spent by far.

3. A Good Running Hat


In the winter, I need a warm beanie.  Now that we're into spring (never mind that my heat is on this week because the temps are in the 30's and 40's), Under Armour's Shadow Cap is my hat of choice.  It's very lightweight, and the Coldblack technology reflects heat and blocks infrared rays.  I wear contacts, and the built-in sweatband keeps sweat from dripping into my eyes.

4. Garmin 405CX



I bought a Garmin about 6 months after I started running.  You might say that I survived 6 months without one just fine, so why give in?  I'll say it was more of a cost move - I wanted to make sure I absolutely loved running before plunking down the change.  I guess you know how that turned out. :)  I love having it, and it actually encourages me to train harder.  It still works beautifully, but I sure do love the Forerunner 10's in the bright colors...


5. Nathan Quickdraw Plus
  

If a run is less than 6 miles, I generally don't take water with me.  On longer runs, I couldn't live without my Nathan.  I don't necessarily need the pouch for my phone since I use an armband, but it's a great place to keep sport beans or gels and a credit card.  22 oz. is plenty to hold me for a half-marathon.

Honorable Mention

Lights


The reason these were an honorable mention and not in my top 5 is that I typically run in daylight or on the treadmill.  If I had to run in the dark every day, these would definitely be #1.  Even though I run mostly on sidewalks, I'm still crossing streets and there's always at least one person who isn't expecting you to be there.

So there you have it - my essentials.  What are your must-haves when you head out for a run?  

No comments:

Post a Comment