Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Expo... Crashing?

Kansas City's "Rock the Parkway" race is this weekend.  Originally, I had previous plans so I didn't sign up.  Said plans then got cancelled, and I thought I might add another half to my schedule.  Due to the popularity of the race, the half was already sold out.  I decided to "crash" the expo, because who doesn't love a bunch of booths filled to the brim with the latest running gear and gadgets?

Okay, confession time.  I actually e-mailed the race director and asked if it was okay to come for the expo even though I wasn't running the race.  Yes, I'm a nerd that way - please don't judge me. :)  He, of course, said I was welcome to come.  Kids in school, money in hand, running gear galore - what could possibly go wrong? 

Then, several days ago, I saw a post on my facebook news feed that the Hospital Hill Run was looking for volunteers to work their booth at the Expo.  I've never done anything like that before, but thought it might be fun.  I love meeting new people and definitely love talking to others who are as passionate as I am about running.  I'm signed up for the race, after all - the least I can do is help promote it.  I contacted the person in charge and am now working several hours on Thursday and Friday in the HHR booth.  

If you're planning to be in Kansas City for Rock the Parkway this weekend, stop by the HHR booth and say hi!  If you want to join me in running the race voted #11 on Runner's World's 27 Best Half-Marathons in the U.S. list, visit http://www.hospitalhillrun.com/ to register! 

Tell me - have you ever "crashed" a race expo?  Which are your favorite booths to visit and what do you like to buy?

No comments:

Post a Comment