Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Hope

Last night's blog post was very jumbled because at that moment, that's how I felt - one big ball of jumbled thoughts and a mixture of emotions.  In my post, I said that I did not personally know anyone running yesterday.  As I was running this morning, the events of yesterday kept replaying in my head.  All of a sudden something connected and my heart fell into my stomach with a sickening thud.  It had somehow slipped my mind that we did have friends there.  My son's basketball coach was running, and his wife and son (one of my son's best friends) were there to cheer him on. 

I texted her this morning, praying that I'd get a reply.  Tears of joy and relief filled my eyes when, half an hour later, I received a text back.  They were safe and planning to come home today.  She and her son had been standing in that very spot not an hour before, but left as soon as her husband crossed the finish line.  I'm sure my hands were shaking with thankfulness and relief as I texted her back. 

Late last night, after I'd already posted, I sat glued to the television, not really wanting to watch anymore but unable to turn it off.  My husband, who had been watching but was headed to bed, said, "Do you think it's the best idea for you to be watching this?  What good can come of it?"  Perhaps there is some truth in his words, but as I sat and watched, I felt a few pieces of my heart being put back together.  

I watched police, fire, and first responders rush to help.  I watched spectators run and start moving barricades so that the injured could be tended to.  I saw runners leaning on complete strangers and vice versa.  I read about Boston residents opening their homes to the displaced for a meal and a place to sleep. The internet was filled with stories of compassion, goodwill, and unity. 

Yesterday we witnessed evil, but we also witnessed an amazing hope for mankind.  For every evil person in the world, there are so many more people who are incredibly good.  I continue to pray for those who were not so lucky and each and every person whose life was changed by yesterday's events.  As we move forward, I am proud to be an American and I am so proud to be a part of this incredible running community.  You will never find a more determined group of people.  Together, we will not stop.  We will keep running.        

No comments:

Post a Comment